The 36th Southern Cross Brigade will start on 27 December 2018 and finish on 16 January 2019. The majority of the three week trip will be spent in a camp about an hour’s drive outside of Havana. This year’s program will also give participants an opportunity to spend time in Havana and to travel from Havana, on the west side of the island, to the city of Santa Clara in the middle of the island and also to Ciego de Avila Province in the middle of Cuba.
The 2018-19 Southern Cross Brigade program can be found here.
This year’s brigade will spend:
- 13 nights at Julio Antonio Mella International Camp (CIJAM), which is located in Caimito municipality, 45 kilometres from Havana City
- 1 night in Havana City, for New Year’s Eve
- 5 nights in Ciego de Avila
- 1 night in Santa Clara
The program is subject to minor changes due to weather and other unforeseeable events. The purpose of the brigade is to actively participate and engage in activities and brigadistas are expected to attend all scheduled activities in the program.
We have recently received news from Cuba about improvements to CIJAM, the camp where brigadistas are hosted. They are as follows:
- There is now WiFi in the camp that can be accessed on your personal devices.
- There is now a credit card machine in the Money Exchange office at the camp. This machine accepts only Visa and Mastercard credit cards. The use of debit cards in this machine is unreliable – we can’t guarantee your debit card will work. The ACFS recommends you take the cash you think you will spend to Cuba.
- Returning brigadistas will be happy to hear that there is now hot water in some of the shower blocks!